Saturday, 15 August 2009

Alberto Contador Contador Says He Will Miss 2009 Giro

MADRID: Alberto Contador won’t race in the 2009 Giro d’Italia and may also miss the Spanish Vuelta to focus on winning the Tour de France.

The Spaniard has claimed a sweep of cycling’s three major races, including the 2007 Tour.
“Having won the Giro and the Vuelta this year, I’m going to return to the Tour to try and win,” Contador said. “I will not participate in the Giro 2009. I’ll prepare for the Tour by racing in other competitions.
“I’m certain to compete in races after the Tour, but I still have to decide whether I’ll participate in the Vuelta or not,” Contador said.
The 25-year-old Astana rider told journalists while at a charity race Sunday that he might take part in the Paris-Nice event, which he won in 2007, or the Castilla and Leon Vuelta and possibly the Basque Country Vuelta.
Contador did not race in the 2008 Tour for Astana because his new team was barred for previous doping violations.
Seven-time Tour de France champion Lance Armstrong announced his cycling comeback last month after three years of retirement. However, Astana team manager Johan Bruyneel said last week that there was only a “50-50″ chance the American will compete in the 2009 Tour.

No comments:

Post a Comment