Saturday, 22 August 2009

Federer ends Murray run in semis











World number one Roger Federer brought Andy Murray's unbeaten run to an end with a superb display in the semi-finals of the Cincinnati Masters.
In a battle between the world's top two ranked players, Murray saw his eight-match winning streak finish as Federer came through 6-2 7-6 (10-8).
It was only Federer's third win in nine meetings with Murray, stopping a run of four straight losses to the Scot.
Rafael Nadal will face Novak Djokovic in the second semi-final.
"If you let Roger play well, then he's very, very difficult to beat," said Murray, who improved in the second set but could not convert two set points in the tie-break.
"The first set I was leaving the ball short and giving him a lot of second serves to look at and not making a whole a lot of returns, so I couldn't to put any pressure on him.
I deserved it and went after my shots. I was not scare or worried to go after them and so I am very happy
Roger Federer
"He was going for his shots because I was leaving the ball in the middle of the court.
"I was happy that I managed to up my game in the second set."
Federer, 28, was delighted to have got back to winning ways against the man closing fastest on his world number one ranking.
"Matches against Andy have been similar when I win the first set and then lose my edge in the second set and it is hard to get back into the match," said the Swiss.
"Today I was able to close him out even though it was very tight to the end. I deserved it and went after my shots. I was not scare or worried to go after them and so I am very happy. It all paid off.
606: DEBATE
Will Federer win the title now?
"I was able to raise my game and I hope I can go all the way tomorrow. It is great to have Rafa back from injury.
"He is such a wonderful character for the game. It is nice to see him back and healthy.
"Whoever I play in the final it will be tough."

No comments:

Post a Comment