Friday, 14 August 2009

Football:Torres signs new Liverpool deal




Fernando Torres has signed the new improved contract he agreed with Liverpool in May.
The new deal for the striker, who signed until 2013 when he joined the club in July 2007, also includes an option to extend it for another season.
A statement on Liverpool's website said the 25-year-old had 'completed the formalities' of the deal.

Torres has been a major success since signing from Atletico Madrid, scoring 50 goals in 84 appearances.
He also scored the winning goal for Spain in the Euro 2008 final against Germany.
"It is, this longer and more lucrative contract had been agreed in principle at the end of last season but Torres' involvement in the Confederations Cup with Spain meant the actual signing had been delayed until now," said BBC 5 Live sports news correspondent Nigel Adderley.
"The news will be a comfort to those Liverpool supporters who had been disappointed by midfielder Xabi Alonso's transfer to Real Madrid."
Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez said in May: "Fernando is one of the best strikers in the game today and, at his age, can only get better.

"Every major side would want him in their team, but he has shown how much he wants to achieve success at Liverpool by committing his future to the club.
"He's a special talent but still has the hunger to improve his game."
Benitez has secured the futures of his key players after watching them push Manchester United in the title race last season before finishing second.
Dirk Kuyt, Daniel Agger, Steven Gerrard and Benitez himself have already signed new contracts in the last two months.
"We are building something special here and securing such important players on long-term deals means we can move forward with confidence.
"This sends out a very positive message to everyone connected with the club," he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment