Monday, 10 August 2009

Inglis banned after assault claim


Australia star Greg Inglis has been suspended by his club after being charged with assaulting his girlfriend.
The Melbourne Storm player was charged with recklessly causing injury and unlawful assault before being bailed to appear in court on Wednesday.
Storm chief executive Brian Waldron said Inglis was banned indefinitely.
"The Melbourne Storm is vehemently opposed to any situation that in any way endangers the health, safety and well-being of any woman," said Waldron.
"The club has taken a strong stance in the past towards behaviour of this type and will continue to do so in the future.
"As such this decision is made in the best interests of all parties concerned."
The alleged assault comes at a pivotal time in the season for the Melbourne franchise as an intense finals series looms and is also a major blow to a code already tarnished by numerous off-field indiscretions this season.
Inglis, along with Manly's Brett Stewart, was featured in the NRL's promotional campaign in the lead-up to the season, but both players have now made headlines for the wrong reasons with Stewart charged with sexual assault earlier in the year.
Inglis, 22, has enjoyed a decorated career at both club and representative level, scoring 13 tries in 12 Tests for the Kangaroos.

No comments:

Post a Comment