Monday, 10 August 2009

Tennis:Nadal cautious on return to tour


Rafael Nadal does not expect a swift return to winning ways as he defends his Rogers Cup title in Canada.
The Spaniard, 23, is back in action at the Montreal event this week after a lengthy lay-off with knee problems.
"My only goal is to train hard and play well here. I know it will be almost impossible (to win)," he said.
Nadal has been dogged by tendinitis, but he added: "My injury is not risky. I can have some pain, but it not a risk. I'm OK now."
The world number two has been away from the tour since being beaten by Robin Soderling in the French Open fourth round in May - his first-ever defeat at Roland Garros for the four-time champion.
The Rogers Cup, part of the ATP's Masters 1000 series, is a key tournament in the hard-court build-up to the US Open (31 August-13 September).
When asked about his chances at Flushing Meadows, Nadal said: "The Open? I'll be fresher, sure. Better? I don't know. It is coming fast and I don't have a big preparation. I will do what I can.
"But it's impossible to think about the Open. You are talking about the Open, I'm talking only about being fit and recovering from my injury 100%.
"When that happens and I feel confident on court and have some matches under my belt and am playing much better then I'll think about playing with my best condition at the US Open.
"I have to keep working on court. We will have to see in a few weeks what my condition is. I don't know how many weeks I'm going to need."
Nadal and his fellow top seeds get first-round byes in Montreal.
Briton Andy Murray could take the world number two spot from Nadal if he wins the Montreal title, though reaching the semi-finals could be good enough if the Spaniard loses either his first or second match.

No comments:

Post a Comment